Saturday, December 27, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Lord Ronald Gower was a Liberal [Member of Parliament] for [Sutherland] from 1867-1874, and was succeeded as MP by his nephew [Cromartie, Marquess of Stafford] (the elder surviving son of his eldest brother the [3rd Duke of Sutherland] ). He was a Trustee of the [National Portrait Gallery] , and of the Birthplace and Shakespeare Memorial Building at [Stratford-on-Avon].
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Warwick Castle (pronounced /ˈwɒrɪk/ WORR-ik, like warren listen (help·info)) is a medieval shell keep castle in Warwick, the county town of Warwickshire, England. It sits on a cliff overlooking a bend in the River Avon. Warwick Castle was built by William the Conqueror in 1068 within or adjacent to Anglo-Saxon burh of Warwick. It was used as a fortification until the early 17th century, when Sir Fulke Greville converted it to a country house. It was owned by the Greville family, who became earls of Warwick in 1759, until 1978.
From 1088, the castle traditionally belonged to the Earl of Warwick, and it served as a symbol of his power. The castle was taken in 1153 by Henry of Anjou, later Henry II, when the Countess of Warwick was tricked into handing over the castle. It was again briefly lost in 1264, following a surprise attack during the Second Barons' War. It has been used to hold prisoners, including some from the Battle of Poitiers in the 14th century. Under the ownership of Richard Neville – also known as "Warwick the Kingmaker" – Warwick Castle was used in the 15th century to imprison the English king, Edward IV. Warwick Castle has been compared with Windsor Castle in terms of scale, cost, and status.
Since its construction in the 11th century, the castle has undergone structural changes with additions of towers and redesigned residential buildings. Originally a wooden motte-and-bailey, it was rebuilt as a stone shell keep in the 12th century. Repairs were necessary at various times due to slighting in battle and general decay. When Fulke Greville gained ownership in 1604, the castle was in ruins; he spent £20,000 (about £3,000,000 or $6,000,000 in 2007) on restoration work. In the 17th century the grounds were turned into a garden. Warwick Castle was purchased by The Tussauds Group in 1978 and opened as a tourist attraction. It is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade I listed building. The castle is a popular tourist attraction and features one of the world's largest siege engines. It is the subject of several paintings and drawings by the 18th-century Italian master Antonio Canaletto.